April 10, 2018 – Rooney Nimmo, an international corporate law firm based in New York, London, Edinburgh and San Francisco, announces John P. “Jack” Flanagan has joined the practice as partner in the firm’s New York office.
Jack brings a solid résumé in commercial real estate and transactional work. He represents financial institutions, private equity funds, owner/operators and developers in all aspects of commercial real estate and private M&A nationwide. His practice involves a sophisticated blend of both debt and equity transactions. He excels in navigating clients through complicated and difficult legal and business issues.
Recent transactional representations include:
- Privately held distillery in its first U.S. acquisition.
- Private-equity fund in acquisition of flagged hotel in Mid-Atlantic with over 500 keys.
- Owner/operator in corporate matters, joint venture and management of grocery-anchored shopping center in the South.
- Real estate fund in joint venture, recapitalization and debt restructuring of mixed-use waterfront project in Pennsylvania.
- Sponsor in corporate financing, joint venture and bridge loan for south Florida ground-up condominium.
- Borrower in ground-up construction loan of boutique Brooklyn condominium.
- Private-equity fund in joint venture/financing to purchase defaulted debt on suburban office property.
- Real estate fund in joint venture to acquire Massachusetts affordable multi-family units.
- Private equity fund in sale of 22-property portfolio of self-storage facilities in the Northeast.
- Financial institution in $46 million mortgage loan, with junior mezzanine component, on mixed use project on Manhattan’s Lower East Side.
- Private-equity fund in $45 million joint venture of Pennsylvania hotel with a local operator, involving a complex bond consent agreement and ground lease structure.
Jack currently serves on the board of directors for the Lower East Side Coalition Housing Development and was awarded the Lawyers Alliance for New York’s Cornerstone Award for Pro Bono service in leasing.
Before law, Jack worked in a variety of occupations, including “hotshot” firefighter out West; media planner at a NYC advertising agency; FM DJ at a radio station in Kyoto, Japan; mathematics teacher at a boys’ reform school in northeastern New Mexico; reporter on Central American affairs in Washington, D.C.; analyst at Maclean, a Virginia management consulting firm; carpenter at a southern California bookstore; and English adjunct professor at a Slovak agricultural university.
After graduating law school, he worked for ten years at Paul Hastings LLP as an associate. For the last five years he has been a business transactions partner, most recently at an AM Law 200 firm in their Midtown office.
Allan Rooney, Founding Partner, said, “We are delighted to have Jack on the team, as we continue to grow our practice. His strength in commercial real estate law and financial transactions will be of enormous benefit to our clients.”
Jack Flanagan said, “There is a great entrepreneurial culture at Rooney Nimmo that makes it a truly unique outfit. I’m excited to be able to contribute to their success.”
Rooney Nimmo is an international corporate law firm based in New York, London, Edinburgh and San Francisco. Our lawyers represent a wide range of clients around the world, including established multi-national public corporations, emerging start-up enterprises, investment funds, financial institutions, governments, educational institutions and non-profit entities. We have lawyers admitted in the US, the UK, Germany, Hong Kong and Australia.